Current Role and Academic Focus
I am an Associate Professor in International Relations at the University of Sydney. I am presently working as the postgraduate coordinator for the department. I supervise higher degree by research students for the University of Sydney Department of International Relations. You can visit my university profile here.
I have a long standing commitment to Global Environmental Politics. My primary research interests include:
- International Relations
- Constructivist theory, processes of socialisation and identity change
- International Organisations and Global Governance
- The World Bank Group and Regional Development Banks
- International Economic Organisations (the IMF and the WTO)
- Non-Government Organisations; Environmental Advocacy
- Global Environmental Politics
- I am particularly interested in supervising research and doctoral dissertations on international organisation behaviour and change, specifically in relation to global and regional organisations.
My current research focuses on two projects. The first examines the rise, spread and efficacy of accountability mechanisms that have been created by Multilateral Development Banks in order to redress the negative impacts of development projects on local communities. The second research project is on Accountability in Global Environmental Governance (AGEG). More details of both can be found on the projects page.
I joined the International Relations department at University of Sydney in 2008 after teaching at Deakin University for three years. I had previously taught at the University of New South Wales.
I also chaired the fifth Oceanic International Studies Conference, which was hosted by the Department of Government and International Relations, July 18-20 2012. The OCIS is a biennial event that is the largest conference on international relations and international studies in Australia and New Zealand.
- A Senior Research Fellow of Earth Systems Governance and am an affiliated Faculty member of the Munk School’s Environmental Governance Lab at the University of Toronto.
- A research affiliate of the Sydney Environment Institute at the University of Sydney.
- An External Associate of the Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR) at Warwick University.
- Associate Editor of Global Environmental Politics (A* journal, impact factor 2.316) for 2017-2021.
- A member of the editorial board for the Australian Journal of International Affairs and am on the editorial board for International Studies Perspectives.
- Elected as the President of the Environmental Studies Section of the International Studies Association for 2015-2017 and had been the Vice President (program chair) for 2013-2015. I was a member of the Executive Committee for 2010-2012 and, in 2009, was the Chair of the Harold and Margaret Sprout Award Committee for the best book on international and environmental problems (I was a member of the committee in 2008).